Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Etched Picture Frame

Alex's sister is living in Connecticut right now so for Christmas we wanted to give her a little something to remind her of home.  Glass etching is one of my favorite things to do so I decided to do a picture frame with a quote etched on it.  It is really hard to photograph etched glass, so hopefully you can see it at least a little bit.

IMG_6543

The quote says “there’s no place like home” because well, I’m from Kansas, so Wizard of Oz was a natural choice.  I cut the stencil on my Cricuit using contact paper.  You could use vinyl but contract paper is way cheaper.  Then put the stencil on the glass.   I figured out where I wanted it while the class was still in the frame then took it out to actually place the stencil and put the etching cream on.  I leave the etching cream on for longer than than say because (1) I want to make sure the etching is really clear and (2) I tend to forget I am doing it.  After the etching is done, I like to scrape as much etching cream back into the jar as I can.  That way a jar lasts a lot longer because that stuff isn’t cheap.  Also, if when you wash the etching cream off and it seems like it didn’t work, don’t freak out.  It should look a lot clearer when it dries.

Here is the final product.  The picture is one I look of the family right before Bridget left last fall.

IMG_6542

1 comments:

Kimberly T. said...

That is such a fun idea! I think I might do this for mother's day presents. Thank you! Pinning it right now.

Post a Comment