Saturday, March 3, 2012

Glitter + Chalkboard + Goodness

I love decorating with pictures. I really like being surrounded by all of our wonderful memories.

I ordered these raw picture frames online (I think the we're from Pick Your Plum). They were originally meant to be Christmas gifts for some friends but that group of friends decided to draw names for Christmas and we ended up with two boys. And boys do not appreciate picture frames.

Also around that time I discovered one of my new favorite products. It is called Glitter Blast and it is made by Krylon and it might just be the best thing since sliced bread. It is like spay paint but instead of paint it is glitter. 



The frames were easy to paint because they are actually two pieces. I stuck the bases in one box and used a spray chalkboard paint.

I used red and teal Glitter Blast because those are the colors of my kitchen. (I had a friend point out that those colors are awfully close to crimson and blue which happen to be the colors of a certain university. I am sure that is just a coincidence.) I practiced on this guy to hone my technique.

The most important thing I learned is that you really don't want to spay to close. It looks worse wet than dry but it still doesn't look good dry if you have drips and globs. Also, if you want it to be really bright you either have to use a whole lot of glitter or paint the base a matching color before you use the glitter.


See, he has some drips and globs on his hip.  Poor guy.

I gave everything I had glittered a good clear coat to avoid any potential shedding. Then all I had to do was pop some pictures in and I was done. I love that it adds a little sparkle to the room without being too girly or over the top.  I also like that they are easy to change.  Since the frames are actually two pieces, they can for horizontal or vertical pictures.  And I can erase the bases over and over again.  Here are a few pictures of the finished products.



3 comments:

Melanie said...

I'd love for you to come link this up!

http://www.reasonstoskipthehousework.com/2012/03/tuesday-time-out.html#.T1YnylHlyGc

Melanie :)
Reasons To Skip The Housework

Katelynn said...

Roommate, so glad to see you blogging again! Miss you.

Six Sisters said...

So nice, what a great idea. We are so glad that you linked up to "Strut Your Stuff Saturday." Hope you'll be back next week! -The Sisters

Post a Comment